Divorce in Urban India
Even though India still enjoys a low divorce rate, the rapid increase in the number of divorce petitions being filed in Indian courts is certainly a matter of concern. The Indian divorce rate is although the lowest in compared to the rest of the countries of the world, but the present marital scenario in India is likely under a threat. The very will to keep on with the sacred union even under numerous marital disputes and disparities has mellowed with time and transformation of ideologies.
Let us trace out the reasons for the increasing rate of divorce in urban India.
- Earlier a woman when divorced was subjected under social criticisms. Some how or the other it was the wife who was to be blamed for the breakdown of the marriage. Even parents often reluctantly accepted the divorced woman when she had returned to her parental home. But now the views are changing. Parents now believe that it is definitely not the end of their daughter even after her marriage is being dissolved.
- Due to globalization and the IT boom, the Indian social life has become more faster. In order to excel in oneís own field of occupation, hardly any interest grows in the minds of individuals to ponder and judge otherís personal matters like divorce. Hence, unlike earlier days, the divorced couple is saved from the critical glare of the society.
- With the spread of women education in India, women are getting the privilege to work and earn for their own living. Well paid women are even at the advantage of supporting their own children. So, if the woman undergoes unbearable mental and physical torture, she can now easily move away from the marriage without much giving a thought on the post divorce financial condition.
- As the world is getting smaller, globalization is bringing about trade of cultures and ideologies; there had been a significant change in the attitude towards marriage in modern India. Due to the presence of a workaholic environment in common households of urban India, marital incompatibility is the obvious consequence of such a situation. Hardly spouses get the time to share their thoughts and affections with each other and a growing dissatisfaction instigates the sacred marriage to turn into a grim divorce.
- An estranged relationship can always be revived with the interference of close friends and relatives. But the present day nucleated families are not that fortunate enough to get the opportunity to reconsider their marriage under the presence of close family members.
The global divorce rate is increasing alarmingly. Governments of various countries including India are taking up necessary steps to reduce the rate of divorce and to save marriages. Surveys and studies are conducted across the globe to infer the exact reasons for breaking down marriages and families. The awareness of the concept of living in a healthy and close knit family is the probable solution to lessen the increasing rate of divorce.